With the finest collection of resources for research on the history of women in America, the library's holdings are strong in:
Women's rights and feminism;
Health and sexuality;
Work and family life;
Education and the professions; and
Culinary history and etiquette.
Open to the public, the library welcomes all researchers who wish to use the collections, view exhibits, and attend events. As one of the special libraries within the Harvard Library, specific policies may apply.
History of the Library
- 1908: The library is built at Radcliffe College with half the funding provided by Andrew Carnegie; it is considered a Carnegie library.
- 1943: Radcliffe College accepts the archive of material assembled by Maud Wood Park that documents woman suffrage; it becomes known as the Woman's Rights Collection.
- 1940s and '50s: The Woman's Rights Collection becomes the Women's Archives at Radcliffe College, and new materials are added throughout this period.
- 1965: The library continues to expand and is renamed to honor Harvard University historian Arthur M. Schlesinger Sr. and his wife Elizabeth Bancroft Schlesinger.
- 1970s: The library's collections grow rapidly, especially with the contributions from members of the feminist movement.
- Today: The library's collections continue to expand and include a larger variety of topics and new formats, including "born digital" materials.