Join the artists for a conversation marking the opening of the virtual exhibition Accompanied: The Artworks of Marilyn Pappas and Jill Slosburg-Ackerman.
This exhibition presents a pair of artists whose work was transformed by an abiding friendship. Pappas and Slosburg-Ackerman, both fellows at Radcliffe’s Bunting Institute in the 1980s, have sustained a conversation over four decades about artistic endeavor, studio practice, and pedagogy. The artists were members of the founding group of the Brickbottom Artists Building—one of the country’s first artist-developed live-work buildings—and are professors emeriti at the Massachusetts College of Art and Design. They have worked in adjoining studios for more than 30 years and have taught generations of artists.
This virtual exhibition, captured from the studios of Pappas and Slosburg-Ackerman, reflects on how their artistic practices have been shaped by a decades-long friendship working in close proximity. What are the aesthetic and political possibilities of friendship, particularly in relation to women’s art? In friendship, we see a model of collectivity that is based not in the family or state, but in natural affinities—a mode of reciprocity and exchange that resists easy codification and offers the potential of liberatory politics.
- Marilyn Pappas, exhibiting artist, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study
- Jill Slosburg-Ackerman, exhibiting artist, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study
- Maggie Doherty, PhD ’15, author of The Equivalents: A Story of Art, Female Friendship, and Liberation in the 1960s (Knopf, 2020)
- Jennifer Roberts, Johnson-Kulukundis Family Faculty Director of the Arts, Radcliffe Institute, and Elizabeth Cary Agassiz Professor of the Humanities, Harvard Faculty of Arts and Sciences
- Meg Rotzel, curator of exhibitions, Radcliffe Institute
Audience Q and A will follow the discussion
Accompanied: The Artworks of Marilyn Pappas and Jill Slosburg-Ackerman is on view beginning September 22, 2020, at https://onviewatradcliffe.org/on-view#/accompanied/.
We plan to post the recording on our website one week after the event.