The Radcliffe Exploratory Seminar Program provides funding to scholars, practitioners, and artists for collaboration in an interdisciplinary exploration of early-stage ideas.
Our program encourages intellectual risk taking as participants gather in an intensive seminar setting to explore new fields of research and inquiry. Hundreds of Harvard faculty members and Radcliffe fellows have benefited from this program, which challenges its participants to reimagine the boundaries of knowledge through multidisciplinary discussion.
- Funding available to support one- to two-day, by-invitation-only seminars
- Hosted on the campus of the Radcliffe Institute
- Accommodates roughly 12–20 participants, subject to budgetary limitations
- Lead applicant must be either a Harvard ladder (tenured or tenure-track) faculty member (from any school) or a former or current Radcliffe fellow; co-applicants may apply with lead applicants who meet eligibility requirements
- Applications are peer reviewed
- explore the viability of early-stage research ideas in any discipline or multiple disciplines
- invite the perspectives of diverse participants and stakeholders to the discussion
- integrate senior and junior scholars from institutions in the greater Boston area, across the United States, or around the world
- demonstrate risk taking and creativity
- Radcliffe supports engaged scholarship. We welcome proposals that connect research to public policy, pressing social issues, and/or seek to actively engage audiences beyond academia.
- We welcome proposals relevant to the Institute’s focus areas, which include law, education, justice; youth leadership and civic engagement; and legacies of slavery.
- Reflecting Radcliffe’s unique history and institutional legacy, proposals that focus on women, gender, and society or draw on the Schlesinger Library’s rich collections
We are not currently accepting applications.
We invite Harvard faculty and Radcliffe Fellows to attend one of our five information sessions in the arts, humanities, life sciences, physical sciences, or social sciences, where you can meet with a Radcliffe faculty director and ask questions in person about the program.
Social Sciences: TBD
Life Sciences: TBD
Physical Sciences: TBD
If you are interested in attending one of our virtual informational sessions, please register today. A Zoom link will be sent to registrants prior to the meeting.