The Schlesinger Library is open to the public and welcomes all researchers. Our Planning a Visit to the Schlesinger Library guide helps make the most of your research time. While no appointment is necessary to use the library's holdings, researchers are strongly encouraged to contact us in advance, because material may be stored offsite and/or have restrictions.
Consult our Research Guides for an introduction by subject to various library holdings. The guides are meant to help you begin your research on select topics and are not complete lists of relevant material.
- Contact us online through Ask a Schlesinger Librarian.
- Stop by the Reference Desk during library hours. A librarian is always available at the desk to provide assistance.
- Phone us at 617-495-8540. Complex research queries are best handled through Ask a Schlesinger Librarian.
- Check answers to frequently asked questions including Interlibrary Loan procedures; how to request offsite material; where to find research assistants for hire; and National History Day resources.
- Write us at: Reference Desk, Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, 3 James Street, Cambridge, MA 02138.
We are happy to provide in-depth individual research consultations for those needing assistance with dissertation, senior thesis or other research. To request an appointment with a research librarian, please Ask a Schlesinger Librarian or stop by the Reference Desk.
For those needing research assistance from afar, we are offer virtual consultations. To request an appointment to meet via Skype, please Ask a Schlesinger Librarian.